Day one of the big SWTOR stress test beta weekend is now over, and we here at TORWars have been keeping careful watch on how things have been coming along. Have most players enjoyed SWTOR? What about bugs? How bad is the lag? Have there been many server crashes? How about gameplay problems?
Well, folks, based on our very informal (e.g., highly subjective) observations, here’s what we’ve found so far:
- Overall, fans are able to get into the game and play with only occasional problems
- There is often a queue to get into the game. The estimated wait times (indicated on the load screens) are way off, however. For example, for one member of the TORWars staff a projected three hour wait time turned out to be exactly 30 minutes
- Under a full load of players, lag is a factor in some areas. Turning down some graphic features (especially shadow effects) is reported to help.
- This is a stress test; BioWare wants those servers full. More are being brought online as needed.
- Both West Coast and EU servers are being tested today (yesterday it was only East Coast servers)
The good news is that most people are enjoying the game and having fun. This is, however, a stress test, and thus not completely problem free – that’s kind of the whole idea. BioWare is, at this very moment, working very hard analyzing what is going on with the servers, the load of players, queues, and unforeseen bugs. The goal, of course, is to have this all ironed out before launch.
Overall, however, the majority of players are responding very positively to this weekend’s playtime, and most are giving the game some rave initial reviews. This, my friends, is a very good sign.