Hello again TORWarriors! It’s been more than a few months since I’ve written an article for TORWars. In case you were wondering, it’s not because I no longer play the game, or follow the game as closely as I did pre-launch, but sometimes life just gets in the way. That said, I thought what better way to get back into it than to drive a few hours to attend the Community Cantina in San Francisco!
This was my first Community Cantina, but not my first BioWare meet and greet event. Over the summer I attended the meet and greet during San Diego Comic-Con and it was great seeing the community team doing their thing again. The developers in attendance were the newly promoted Community Manger Eric Musco, Senior Producer Blaine Christine, and Lead Systems Designer Damion Schubert.
My friend and I arrived at Jillian’s a few hours early and decided to play pool until the event started. I have to say, it was really fun to see over half the pool hall filled with fellow SWTOR players. It’s not everyday you can ask a random person in a bar what server they are on and not have them look at you sideways. There were some dressed up as Jedi, one guy had a sweet Han Solo outfit, and a few others went all out. During the Q&A, there were prizes handed out for some of the more elaborate costumes.
When they opened the doors to the roped off bar section, and back room where the Q&A was to be held, Eric Musco greeted everyone and handed out Tauntaun Fawn and Kowakian Monkey Lizard pets, and of course drink tickets! There were free appetizers and ample time to get a drink and chat with the devs before the Q&A started. I had a chance to catch up Eric Musco, and met Blaine Christine for the first time. Trust me when I say that these guys love the game and are a blast to shoot the Batha Poodo with. While talking in-game events with Blaine, someone said how cool the Rakghoul event was and he said it would be coming back! No time frame, but confirmation that the event we all fondly look back on will return!
When the Q&A started, Eric Musco and Damion Schubert took the stage. At least one hundred SWTOR fans eagerly awaited to ask their questions. Damion answered the questions and Musco ran mini trivia contests in between questions. As usual, the prizes were top notch. There were Darth Vader statues, Razer gear, and signed Gnost Dural journals given to players with correct answers to some fairly difficult questions.
The Q&A lasted about an hour and although there weren’t any mind blowing reveals, there were a number of juicy tidbits. It’s always nice to hear questions answered straight from the devs mouths, even if many of the answers are just creative ways to say “soon.” I took a lot of notes on my dying cell phone during the event and tweeted a few of the best answers as they happened. I think the best way to share what was said is just to list off the best answers, comments and other tidbits. Here we go!
- -Rakgoul event will be returning! (not from Q&A, but from chatting with Blaine)
- -Ready check will be here sooner than you think
- -User created mods not anytime soon
- -Moving bound, empty armor shells to other legacy toons is something interesting (see how they’re trying not to say soon?)
- -Why does the warrior suck? (everyone laughed)
- -Companions wearing event gear is a go
- -No comment on Tauntaun mounts
- -Everyone laughed when Damion failed to see the connection between “Tron” armor and Disney buying LucasArts
- -Gray alignment coming soonish (does this count as soon?)
- -Having a third faction would break stuff
- -Duel spec is high on the wall of crazy (yes, it’s still on the wall of crazy)
- -Armor dyes soon? Answer: That’d be really neat wouldn’t it? (yes, Damion answered a questions with a question)
- -One-click switch from PvE gear to PvP is on wall of crazy
- -Damion thinks Gault is the funniest companion
- -There are plans to use social media etc. to stream community content (details were vague)
- -What’s up with escape pod doors on ships? To let hijacked players escape!
- -Appearance tabs are not in immediate future
- -One free transfer when transfers go live? They know how important character transfers are
- -Concerns for PvP? Go to PTS and test warzones!
- -More Huttball maps? There are other priorities at the moment (still not sure what this means)
- -I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes.
- -Will there be bikinis for men? (A good chuckle was had by all)
- -Damion commented that if a new player completes the first planet they usually stick around
Well that’s it TORWarriors. It was a crazy fun event, and I suggest you attend one if you have the chance. A shout out to Eric (not Musco), Brandon, Josh and Jeremy for SWTORific conversations throughout the night, and of course thanks to the SWTOR devs for putting on a great event. If you were at the event feel free to leave a comment below with your impressions, and if you weren’t, and my notes make no sense, I’ll do my best to clarify what I remember. Until next time TORFolk, may the Force be with you!